The Positive Trait Thesaurus will help you “shape characters worth rooting for.” According to the authors’ website, this handy guide contains:
- A large selection of attributes to choose from when building a personality profile. Each entry lists possible causes for why a trait might emerge, along with associated attitudes, behaviors, thoughts, and emotions
- Real character examples from literature, film, or television
- Advice on using positive traits to immediately hook readers while avoiding common personality pitfalls…and much more!
The Negative Trait Thesaurus is the companion guide to help give your characters a healthy dose of realistic flaws. This resource includes:
- A vast collection of flaws to explore when building a character’s personality. Each entry includes possible causes, attitudes, behaviors, thoughts, and related emotions
- Real examples from literature, film, or television
- Advice on building layered and memorable characters from the ground up
- An in-depth look at backstory, emotional wounds, and more!
These guides will be available for purchase on October 21st! Just two short weeks from now!
In the meantime, why not hop over to the Bookshelf Muse and have a look at the variety of thesauri available for free! Here are a few of my favorites:
- Physical Attributes: Can you picture your protagonist’s lips? Legs? Eyebrows? You’ll find descriptive words for a host of physical features, their related gestures and emotions, and cliches to avoid.
- Weather & Earthly Phenomena: Need to describe a blizzard? Wind? A sunrise? You name it, it’s here, each entry complete with sensory descriptors, emotional triggers, and more.
- Setting Thesaurus: Particularly helpful if you don’t have the luxury of writing on location. Set your characters in a barn, a space ship, or at a casino and describe the setting in detail.
You’ll also find a thesaurus on color, shape, and texture, another on symbolism, and the newest, the Talents and Skills thesaurus.
I can’t wait to add the Character Traits thesauri to my writing resource library. Happy Writing!